Wednesday, 26 April 2017

Bed Of Roses Shirtdress #sewtogetherforsummer

After making the jacket (thank you for all the love!), I wanted to make something easy.  And now that it's Spring, it's time to start on the summer dresses - although I think somebody needs to tell the weather!  It's been really cold this week, and it started to rain as I was taking my photos...


I spotted the #sewtogetherforthesummer hashtag on Instagram, and needed absolutely no encouragement to join in.  This has been organised by Sew Susan Smith, and click on the link to her blog post here for all the deets, as there is still loads of time to join in.



https://sewsarahsmith.wordpress.com/2017/03/15/sewtogetherforsummer-2017-its-the-summer-of-the-shirtdress/

This dress is all about the fabric, which is a Michael Miller fabric called Bed Of Roses, and the colour is Sapphire.  I bought it towards the end of last year when I was looking for fabric for my green coat (because winter coat and summer dress fabric are so similar!!).  This beauty is from Kittenish Behaviour

 

I surprised myself by how much I love this fabric, for two reasons.  Firstly; the background is blue, and I don't really suit blue.  But it hints at a tone of purple (but it's definitely blue) , so it doesn't make me look like a zombie!  And secondly, it has a lot of pink.  I'm not fond of pink (and it clashes with my hair, which is a bona fide first world problem), but these roses are gorgeous, and I love the red in them. 


The bodice is my self-drafted shirtdress bodice, and the skirt is the full skirt from McCall's 6696.  I've made this before here, and it's one of my favourite summer dresses, so I decided to make another version.  I had to get creative with the skirt in order to get it all onto the fabric though, and used the selvedges for the skirt fronts.

 
  
There's not too much to say about the construction of this dress, and it went together really quickly.  I cut it out on a Saturday afternoon and it was nearly finished by Sunday teatime, but then it stalled because I didn't have any buttons that I loved, and I needed bias tape to finish the armholes.  So it stayed on the dress form for a week until I could into Belfast the next Saturday to get what I needed.


Again, I surprised myself by picking red buttons, and I think they look really nice with this fabric.  

 

Good luck with your shirtdress if you are joining in, I looking forward to seeing what everybody makes.


Lynne 

20 comments:

  1. Lynne this is a gorgeous dress and blue does suit you and the pink does not clash at all. It looks amazing on you! I need to say thank you to you for your terrific tutorial about how to put inseam pockets in with a zipper. I followed it on the weekend for a skirt I was making and it worked beautifully. Still not finished as I have stalled with the waistband due to having a nearly 3 year old boy running around but soon will be completed and thanks to you I have lovely pockets and a side zip skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, thank you very much! I'm glad my pocket tutorial helped. I have referred back to it a lot myself, and am always glad that it makes sense to me. It got put on the blog for safe-keeping, because I knew if I wrote it down I would promptly loose it!

      Delete
  2. I think the dress looks awesome on you it highlights not clashes with your hair & the blue is perfect with your skin tone. All in law lovely dress on a lovely lady.
    Blessings,Baa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baa, thank you! This shade of blue works because it's a bit darker, sadly light and turquoise blue shall never be my friends!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous Lynne (as per usual ;o) You really know how to make a great shirt dress - love the selvedge skirt front, red buttons are a win too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm delighted with the red buttons.

      Delete
  4. That looks amazing; I think it's my favourite of your 'makes' that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fabric you've used for this shirtdress and what a great fit! Suits you to a T :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I shop the same way - "must buy linen for summer clothes, oh wait a minute there's a gorgeous boiled wool!" Been there, done that. In your case you shopped just right and produced a perfectly fitting dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ruth! I'm glad I'm not the only person who shops like that! Honestly, I have the attention span of a butterfly when it comes to focusing on fabric that I want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous dress Lynne - and those shades of blue and pink definitely do suit you, even if you're not a fan of the colours in general! My shirtdress is next up on my sewing list after I've finished a couple of little projects I'm working on for family members

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth! Good luck with your dress, I will look forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  9. I really do love your dress Lynne but I'm even more impressed to realise the bodice is self drafted! Totally fabulous! (Ps. Thanks for the shoutout too! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜˜)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! And thanks for organising #sewtogetherforsummer, I'm loving seeing all the makes on Instagram.

      Delete
  10. Another gorgeous dress! The colours in the fabric do look great on you, no clashing or washing out. I was wondering why you would name a dress after a bon jovi song (so much childhood memories there!) untill I read about te fabric name, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Oh my goodness, it hadn't even occurred to me that it was Bon Jovi song! But of course it is, and now it's going around my head! I love Bon Jovi, and now I'm thinking about when I saw them in the King's Hall in Belfast in May '93. They were awesome!! The best bit was when they did "Gloria" by Van Morrison in the middle of "Bad Medicine". What a show!!! :)

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.