Friday, 12 May 2017

Sew Over It 1970s Vintage Shirt Dress

The Sew Over It Vintage Shirt Dress is inspired by shirt dresses from the 1940s and 50s, but mine is straight out of the 1970s - and we all know how much I love the 70s!

 

This fabric is an Alexander Henry number called "Greenwich - Black" that I bought last winter when I should have been looking for fabric for my green coat.  Anyway, it went into the stash with a vague plan for a summer dress.


The plan became more definite when I eyeballed this gorgeous Vintage Shirt Dress by Colette on Instagram and then on her blog - seriously, how fabulous is that dress?!  The lovely fabric reminded me of my Alexander Henry fabric, so the decision was made.



At first I thought this fabric had a bit of an oriental look to it because of the lovely big chrysanthemums and poppies, but once I started sewing my dress together, then the 70s goodness started to show - I think it's the colours!


There's not much to say about the construction, as I have made it twice before (here and here), but I did two things differently.  Firstly, the instructions say to press the pleats to the centre front and back, but I pressed mine flat just because I like the look of it.  They remind me of the pleats on the By Hand London Anna dress, which I love.


This is what my pleats look like from the inside.
Secondly, I added pockets, because who doesn't need pockets?  The pattern piece is from Simplicity 2444.  You'd think a dress pocket pattern piece was a pretty standard thing, but it turns out this is my dress pocket of choice, and the pattern piece lives in my blue Ikea trolley to be added to any dress.

 

The weather has been gorgeous in Belfast for the last two weeks (but it's raining as I type...), and I'm loving how this dress turned out, so the 70s sunglasses and wedge sandals have been making an appearance!
 
Have a great weekend,

Lynne 

18 comments:

  1. Ah - you made it! I love this one, this is the most fabulous fabric and those wedges are the perfect accessory. Thanks for the link lovely lady ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! And thanks for the inspiration!

      Delete
  2. so cuuuute... Would you please stop sewing shirtdresses - I have it on my sewing list for a few months now and anytime you sew one (and always an amazing one), it reminds me how behind my list I am :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You'll be pleased to know that my current make is not a shirtdress, but I do have some more planned!

      Delete
  3. Looks fabulous! I love shirt dresses, they never go out of style. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're so right, and I have a few more shirt dresses planned.

      Delete
  4. Your shirtdress is stunning! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I somehow missed seeing this. It's lovely! I've been eyeing up a couple of patterns on the SewOverIt website. Hopefully over the summer I'll have a sewing spree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I say buy them! I have my eye on the new Eve pattern which is a wrap dress. Sadly, my printer and I are currently having a difference of opinion (it won't print!!), so I haven't bought it yet.

      Delete
  6. I'm late to the party reading this blog post - somehow I managed to overlook it on my Bloglovin feed! It's a great dress, very 'you' I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I really love this dress, and predict that it will be a favourite.

      Delete
  7. I'm a fan of shirtdresses too and I shy away from counting the number of shirt dress patterns I already own but I've been eyeing this pattern for a while... every one I've seen sewn up has been just luscious and yours is no exception! Beautiful in every respect - fit and length, fabric and buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! I find it's best not to think about the number of shirtdress patterns I have! But I can definitely recommend this one, it's a corker.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.