Saturday, 26 August 2017

Sew Over It Eve Dress - Version 2

I always admire wrap dresses, I even have a Pinterest board about them, but this is the first front wrap dress that I've made.  I made the Colette Patterns Crepe Dress years ago, which wraps at the back, and I loved that dress, so really should make it again.  Anyway, I digress...

 
This one is the Sew Over It Eve Dress which went straight into the sewing queue as soon as I laid eyes on the pattern.  I bought the PDF pattern, because I think I'm the only person in the world who prefers them, and made Version 2 with the long sleeves and straight hem.  My love of the 70s is well documented, but I didn't think the 70s flutter sleeves would be very cardigan friendly, and I'm not a fan of a high/low hem.


This is a loose fitting dress, and a wrap is quite forgiving fit-wise, so I made a straight size 10.  My only alterations were to shorten the sleeves (can't remember by how much), and I also took about 7" off the length of the skirt because it was really long, and I am really small!  My skirt is 20" long plus the hem, as that's my preferred skirt length in general.  And as I'd shortened the skirt so much, the front skirt piece fitted onto my folded fabric.  Hurray!

This, by the way, is why I love PDFs.  If I make a mess of the alterations, I can just print it out again.  My only complaint about the pattern is that there are no length/shorten lines on any of the pieces, and they would have been helpful.

 

My fabric is some viscose from Abakhan Fabrics, and is called Feather Print Javanese Viscose.   I got 3 metres for the bargain price of £4.12 per metre, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it on some other websites too.  As I had shortened the skirt considerably, I used much less than 3 metres, and I should have enough left for a sleeveless top.

I didn't use anything to stabilise the fabric because I didn't think it needed it (I've worked with trickier vicoses), and also, I couldn't be bothered.  Kind of wish I'd sprayed it with some spray starch though, it would have made life a bit easier.

I love this little shoulder yoke and gathers.
The instructions are really great, and the only thing I did differently was to stay stitch the bodice front edges (the bits that wrap over each other) as soon as I unpinned the pattern pieces.  I live in mortal fear of neck edges stretching (well, maybe it's not that bad!!), but I always stay stitch any neck edge, and have never regretted it. 

The neck and wrap edges are faced using stay tape, and the instructions are really clear.  It's a bit fiddly folding the edge back on itself, but just takes a bit of patience. 


I'd read a few reviews about how tricky it was to turn the belt ties right side out, but I think I got lucky with this fabric.  I used a wooden barbecue skewer (the blunt end!), and it did the job, although I think I'll treat myself to one of those little metal hook thingies for turning out rouleau loops.

This dress is so comfortable to wear, and the skirt front that wraps under extends right over to the side seam, so there's not much risk of flashing too much leg!  I added a little pop fastener to the bodice wrap to keep it in place, but this has a lot to do with my fabric being quite drapey.  I can see how this wouldn't be necessary in a heavier fabric.


I'm delighted with how this dress turned out, and it's a little bit different to what I'd usually make.  Also, I definitely predict more wrap dresses in my future, including maybe the Sew Over It Ultimate Wrap Dress for my increasing pile of jersey fabrics.


Have a great week,

Lynne

14 comments:

  1. Another fabulous dress! You look great in green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely, Lynne. I love how the fabric has a little vintage nod to it. Perfect colour palette for you too. I hear what you are saying about cardi-friendly sleeves. I didn't think that through with my last make! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janene! I always have to factor in the cardy with my dresses!

      Delete
  3. It looks really lovely. I have always worried about wrapped clothing coming a little unwrapped and revealing too much flesh! Good to hear that this isn't the case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I have to say I feel the same about wrap dresses, but with this one, one end of the belt goes through the side seam, and then you wrap it right around your middle.

      Delete
  4. I love PDF patterns too! I hate the guilt I feel if I cut a printed pattern out rather than trace it, so may as well just go with the PDFs. I also love your version of the Eve dress! I'm considering making it, but I need to track down the right fabric first so it feels more 'me'.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauni! That's exactly how I feel about printed patterns! That said, I will cut out a coat printed pattern, because I just can't be bothered to trace them. Way too many pieces!! Good luck with the fabric hunt.

      Delete
  5. I love the fabric you chose. I'm all for a PDF if I can get a large format print (not a fan of sticking them together ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colette! I don't mind to much about the sticking together, it is a bit tedious though. I'd be all for the copy shop versions, if there were somewhere local to me to get them printed. I'm sure there must be somewhere in Belfast that does it, but I don't fancy having to wrestle the printout home on the bus!

      Delete
  6. Such a nice dress! Very flattering!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.